Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Biotechnology: DNA Profiling

Year 10 Science

Your Genome

undefined

The National DNA Database has proved to be a valuable tool in the fight against crime. However, many people are concerned about how it has evolved from a database containing genetic information on convicted criminals to one that has information from a much wider group of people.

JSTOR Daily

undefined

Forensic DNA evidence has been a game-changer for law enforcement, but research shows it can contribute to miscarriages of justice.

The Conversation

One example of a well established, highly validated forensic science technique is DNA profiling, which involves comparing the DNA of a suspect to that found at a crime scene.

Sciencing

What Are Some Advantages and Disadvantages of Using DNA Analysis to Aid Law Enforcement in Crime?

Science Learning Hub

undefined

DNA profiling is the process where a specific DNA pattern, called a profile, is obtained from a person or sample of bodily tissue.

YouTube

Leicester University geneticist Alec Jeffreys developed a technique called DNA fingerprinting in 1985. It allows DNA samples from different people to be compared to look for similarities and differences. It is useful for solving crimes and can also confirm if people are related to each other, like in paternity testing. Any two people in the world have 99.9% of their DNA the same, so this process analyses the differences in the remaining 0.1%. This modern technology is called DNA profiling.

Paul Andersen describes the process of DNA fingerprinting and DNA profiling. He explains how variability in STRs can be used to identify individuals. He explains the importance of DNA fingerprinting in forensics and paternity cases.

DNA profiling is a technique where we can use to identify an individual based on their unique DNA. People all have different number of repeats in their satellite DNA, so therefore can generate a different DNA profile. It is commonly used in forensics and paternity testing, where we compare several individuals' DNA profile to identify the person we are looking for. In this video I will explain the principles behind DNA profiling and the detailed process of it

In this episode of Keipert Labs, we delve into how DNA profiling (also known as DNA fingerprinting) works. We''ll discuss coding and non-coding regions of the DNA strand and polymorphisms, the highly variable regions that are most interesting to the forensic scientist.

Nature

undefined

How ethical is it to keep a database of convicted felons' DNA profiles? Can we rely on DNA fingerprints for conviction? Many ethical issues surround the use of DNA in forensic technology.

Pacific Standard

undefined

The use of genetic information collected by private companies in criminal investigations raises a number of issues about transparency and privacy.

The Guardian

Dubious results, emotional fallout, privacy concerns: inside the £7.7bn industry that promises to tell you who you really are?

ZME Science

undefined

If you’ve spent any time studying DNA, then you’re aware of just how amazing it is. It’s the essence of all living beings and tells elaborate stories about where we came from, who we are, and where we’re going. Do you know what your DNA says about you?